After you have read Chapters 5 and 6 in Boy of the Painted Cave, respond to the questions below. Please write in complete sentences that show thoughtful understanding of the book. Be sure to answer all parts of each question.
1. At the end of Chapter 5, what does Tao learn about how to improve his artwork? How does he feel compared to earlier in the chapter? Explain something you have realized on your own that helped you to better accomplish something.
2. Imagine that you are Tao’s friend and a member of the clan. Give Tao advice about what he should do in his current situation.
Remember to write in complete sentences and proofread your writing before you submit your comments to the blog. Write your comments on a word document,then copy and paste them intothe commen'ts box. Be sure to use your first name only. Read and respond to each other’s comments. If you say that you agree or disagree with someone’s comment tell that person why, respectfully.
48 comments:
1. Tao is kind hearted and he felt sorry for the eagle-owl mom to lose two of her babies so he let her save her last baby to raise him and than the baby will grow and have more eggs. Tao thinks that every body should have some happiness in life and no one should be by himself.
2. Tao continued to go in to the slough because he was curious what’s so wrong with this place that no one will go in there. I started 1st grade I was really scared that I will not know to answer questions and be really lonely but I was ok after I found out that two of my best friends and I were in the same class.
3. Kala answered some of the biggest mysteries that were stuck in Taos head and were just answered. My mom always would fined a piece of paper that she doesn’t need and started drawing her name in different wais and all those animals and shapes would inspire me to try to draw I drew a lot of animals people and more
1. At the end of Chapter 5, what does Tao learn about how to improve his artwork? How does he feel compared to earlier in the chapter? Explain something you have realized on your own that helped you to better accomplish something.
Tao learned that he could draw amazing drawings all he had to do is to have something to go by and to guide his eye, therefore he could draw amazingly.
Tao feels much better now because before he was angry at himself because he was drawing things worse and worse. On the other hand, he felt much better after learning a better way to draw. I realized that I could do anything I could all I had to do is to ignore it or picture it as something else.
2.Imagine that you are Tao’s friend and a member of the clan. Give Tao advice about what he should do in his current situation
I would tell Tao that he should tell Volt that he is simply hunting all over the forest and lie to him and get away with it.
1) Tao learns that when he does cave art, he needs to see a figure of it. He feels much better now that he knows how to paint better. I realized that checking your work on your test may get you a better test score.
2) I would lie to Volt that he hunted for hours and found a lot of animals. Volt will probably not know because he hunted for a long time
1. Tao feels a lot better about himself now that he is satisfied with his art work. I have realized that when I need help I should ask for it, and not be afraid, because if I don’t understand something then that will create a problem.
2. I would tell Tao, that if he wants to draw and be the Chosen One then he should tell Volt the truth about everything, because that is the sign of a true leader. Also I would tell Tao that he should ask Volt if there is any thing that he can do to possibly be the Chosen One.
1) Tao learned that all he had to do to draw well is look at something and draw that. I think Tao felt much better after his success on drawing Ram. I learned that if I pictured the words in my head I could remember anything.
2) My advice to Tao would be to get advice from the old man during there dinner.
1. Tao realizes that it is easier and more accurate to draw an image if he has model to look at. Tao feels better then he did earlier in this Chapter because he has a warm cave with a smooth wall to draw images. He can also hunt with Ram and be free. Several years ago, when I gave my dog his first couple of baths things did not go well. He kept on jumping out of the tub. So I tried putting him in the shower and closing the door. This worked much better because I had more room to work, and he could not get away. I do get my clothes a little wet though, but I don’t really mind.
2. If I was Tao’s friend I would tell him when he comes back with more food for Kala and the clan that he should tell Kala about Ram and how helpful he is at hunting food. I would also make sure to tell Tao not to mention Ram or his hunting spots to Garth or Volt. They would not be happy to hear he was breaking the rules.
1. He learned that if he had something to ‘Guide his eye’ he could make a picture look exactly like he wanted it to. He said that he would never learn how to draw and that he gave up drawing, but now he has a lot of confidence in what he can do. I was once trying to swim 10 laps across my pool without stopping because I was competing with my friend. I realized that I could use the time that my friend was resting to swim as fast as I could and I beat her.
2. “Tao you should really not go and disobey against the clan. I really don’t think it’s a good idea. What if Volt finds you?! You could get killed and fed to the hyenas!”
1) Tao learned he needed an image to copy because when he brought the wolf dog to his new cave he was able to look at the wolf dog and use it as a model to draw his picture. When he was trying to draw the horses he didn’t have a horse there to use as an image. When he was drawing the horses he felt discouraged because he wasn’t drawing well because he was drawing from memory. He now feels good about his drawings because he knows that if he looks at something he can draw it perfect. When I play baseball I learned that I swing better when I act like there is a pole that goes right through my body and I just turn on it.
2) The advice I would give Tao us to tell the tribe that wolf dogs aren’t so bad. They help bring food and that is what the tribe is running out of.
1. Tao learns to improve his artwork by letting something guide his eye, and have something to look at. Tao feels happy that he has found a friend, which helps him draw much better than he did before. Also he is not mad at himself for not drawing good pictures. When I was five, I figured out that by using my fingers, to add and subtract, I got more problems correct on homework.
2. If I were Tao’s friend I would give him the advice to tell Kala about Ram, because she would not tell anyone, and would encourage him to do what he needs to do. Also I would tell Tao to not tell Garth and Volt, because he would get in big trouble.
1.Tao learns how to improve his artwork by learning from his mistakes. He feels very discouraged and impatient. I have realized a talent by myself is drawing. At first I thought I was a horrible drawer. Then one day I brought home a book that teaches you how to draw and I got better at drawing a lot. 2. The advice that I would give him is that you should calm down and be patient and let the drawings you make be great.
1.Tao understood that he just had to practice. Tao feels good about the way he drew the picture with a charcoal on his caves walls. When I was little I didn’t know how to type fast enough and all the work that I had to do on the computer was late because it took me about an hour to right a paragraph!so one day I decided to work on it so I went to the computer and I just typed something like five paragraphs and after a wile I got better and better and now I type twice as fast as I use to.
2.I would say: Tao, I know you have respect for the wiled and so do I, but it can bring you danger and neither of us need trouble so my advice is to try to stop all this mess so you don’t get in trouble but from here it’s your decision only so you depend on your self see you later.
1.Tao learns that if he has something to look at while he is painting he could make it true and without mistakes. I think Tao feels much happier about his drawings compared to what he felt about them in chapter 4, because he knows what to do to make them look better now. I have realized that using my time wisely has helped me accomplish things better.
2.I would tell Tao to ask Graybeard if he could talk to volt and try to convince him that Tao should be a chosen one.
1.)Tao learns to trace the shadow of his wolf dog “Ram”. He feels a lot better because earlier he thought his artwork was terrible. When I was younger and lived in India I realized that since I couldn’t speak what they were speaking made it hard to have friends.
2.) Well if I was Taos friend I would tell him to hunt more so that Volt would not be so angry.
1. Tao needed something to guide his eye and then he can make an image just right. In the begining of the chapter he felt very impatient and frustrated and now he feels relieved and relaxed and happy. On a test I spent like 20 minutes on one problem and then I remeber it at the last minute that we have to finish our test. I was so relived to get it over with and be done!
2. Tao you should come back to the clan I miss you and I feel very lonely if you come back you can help the people, we need you to hunt with us. You have broken way to manny taboos if you come back they might forgive you?
Tao improves his artwork by "guiding his eye" or seeing a model of it. Tao feels happy because he can draw freely and has a new friend. When I was 6 I discovered that I am very good at soccer.
1. Tao learned to improve his artwork by finding that he needs something to guide him such as ram when he was painting him. Tao is happier because he was frustrated that his artwork wasn't any good in the beginning. Over the summer i realized whenever I come home from sports or camps I would just play video games. So I limited my time and now I can only play on the weekends. :D
2. My advice to Tao is to not tell volt about hunting in the slough, and not about the wold-dog too. :D
1. He learns to help his artwork by looking at a animal while he is painting instead of just trying to remember what it looks like. He now feels happy about his drawings instead of mad as he used to be in the earlier in the chapter. I realized in pitching a can throw it as hard as possible and not a lot of people can hit it instead of hitting targets but no throwing as hard as possible.
2. If I was Tao's friend, i would go with him to get more food instead of getting yaked at by Volt. Anyway, there is more food in the slough but the tribe avoids it and that is litarally free food.
1.Tao learns that he has to have the real figure in front of him to make a good image. He feels that he can freely draw images without getting caught and that he has made a new friend. When I was four I discovered that I was very good at swimming and that would proceed on with it.
2. I would tell Tao to follow his dreams and go on with his life
because he made it better for himself
1.)Tao learned how to make better drawings by looking at something then drawing it. After Tao learns to look at something the draw it he feels more satisfied with his work. I discovered that you can’t just eat unhealthy stuff, and this has helped me be more active and less sluggish.
2.) If Tao were my friend my advice for him would be to not tell Volt about going in the slough and getting food, also I would not tell him about Ram because Volt would probably kill Ram.
1. Tao learns that in order to make a good picture, you have to have something to guide you on how to draw it.
2. I would tell Tao that what he is doing is not a very good idea and I would try to convince to stop doing it because I am concerned for his future.
At the end of Chapter 5, Tao learns how to improve his artwork because by looking at Ram, he had something to guide his eye and he could make the image true without mistakes. He feels pleased and happy with his drawing, unlike earlier in the chapter when he felt frustrated and completely useless. A few years ago, I realized that I was a very slow and messy writer, as the years have gone by my handwriting has become quick and easy to read well. Now if there is a state writing test or spelling test, I do my work good and fast, although I still check my work.
2. If I were Tao’s friend and a member in the clan this is what I would say, “ Tao please come back, we all miss you and you are just a kid. We will try to figure something out to help you draw and follow your desire, and maybe we can even try to convince Volt to let us bring in the wolf-dog as a hunter’s companion. However if you don’t want to come, I understand, you could probably keep on going to the slough and hunt with your wolf-dog. Anyways, we all miss you including Kala, so please come back.
1. Tao learned that he would draw beautiful drawings if he was looking at the object he was drawing. Tao is much more satisfied than before because he thought that his drawings were getting worse and worse, but then he learned a new technique and he was very happy. When I was learning how to hula-hoop, I realized that if I move my hips more gently, then I will hula-hoop for a longer period of time.
2. I would tell Tao to ask the chosen one if he could watch him paint. Also I would tell Tao to bring Kala and her baby to the mountain that he lives in and they could have a little clan there.
1) Tao learns how to draw fantastic pictures by having something to go along with and/or something to guide his eyes so he can draw amazing pictures. Now Tao feels proud of himself for now having a awesome art talent. I discovered that I can't study with words for a test, I have to study with pictures. So, whenever I have a test I make pictures to help me study.
2) If I was Tao's friend I would tell him to talk to Graybeard (assuming that he had told me about him) and ask for his advice.
1. Tao learned that if he had something to guide his eye then he would make no mistakes. At the beginning of the chapter he felt like he needed to save the wolf but at the end he felt pleased because he could at least make a good painting on wall of the cave. I have realized that if I stay focus than I would accomplish more goals.
2. I would tell Tao that he should tell Volt that he doesn’t want to hunt with the tribe; he wants to be able to paint on the walls of the cave. I would also tell Tao that he should ask the chosen one if could watch what the chosen one is drawing.
1. Tao leans that if he looks at what he is making while he is painting he can do a much better job. Once when I was really young me and my brother would go with our family to Hawaii and while they where all taking a nap we would go and catch lizards, if we cached any my brother and me would keep them. we where happy until one died and my brother cried (he was like 3 or 4 years old i don't blame him)and we didn't catch any more after that cause we felt bad that we killed one
2.I would tell tao to stay away from the clan because they would eventually find out where he was hunting and find out that he was hunting with a wolf dog.
1. At the end of chapter five, Tao realized he could draw amazing drawings if he just had something to guide him by like a sketch. Tao feels better now because before, he was mad at himself because he started to draw worst than before. I learned that if you study and understand problems for a test, you will get a better score than if you didn't.
2. I would lie and tell volt that he hunted all around the land, and since it is so far, volt and his men will get tired and give up.
1. He learns that he is not a horrible painter, he just needed something to guide his eye. He feels amazing because he’s learned his own secret to art and he can now do excellent paintings. I used to have horrible hand writing. I started really focusing on how the letters curved and how they should look. Over the course of two months, I learned that I just needed to slow down and keep my hand steady.
2. I would say, “Forget what Volt thinks. Keep doing what you’re doing and don’t say a word. If you are forced to say something, think fast and think reasonably.
1.At the end of the chapter, Tao learned how to improve his artwork by drawing a figure while he could have something to guide his eye and see the specific details instead of just imagining the details and shape in his head. He feels less frustrated with his artwork because he was making a more specific and realistic image without mistakes, so he was pleased with his image. Something that I realized on my own and helped me better accomplish something was when I started paying attention to tricks in soccer. It helped me beat the defender and I was having an easier time passing and getting the ball up the field.
2.If I was Tao’s friend and a member of the clan I would tell him to find his mother’s family and move to live with mountain people. I would also tell him to try and convince Kala to tell him his father’s name so he can possibly seek help from his father, if his father is still alive.
1. Tao learns to improve his artwork by looking at the animal instead of imagining it. Tao feels a lot better because Tao didn’t mess up as much and he was proud of his work. When I was younger, I would try to hit the baseball by swinging uppercut. When I realized I couldn’t hit the ball, I tried another solution. I swung flat and I hit the ball a lot harder and further.
2. My advice to Tao would be to not tell Volt that he is hunting in the Slough because it is a taboo and Tao will have a severer consequence . If Tao also told Volt that he hunted with a wolf dog, Volt would kill the dog and he will also give Tao a consequence because hunting with a wolf dog is also a taboo.
1. Tao learned that he could draw better if he had something to go by, something to guide his eye, then he could make an image true without any mistakes. Tao feels better because he his getting better at drawing.I realized that I was a really good goalie in soccer and I realized I could get better if i practiced.
2. I would tell tao that you should just ignore him and keep doing what you are doing.
Matt P. says:
1. Tao learns that to draw something perfectly, he needed something to guide his eye. That will help him reach perfection. He felt pleased with his drawing while earlier in the chapter; he was frustrated that he could not draw a wolf dog. He thought it looked more like a bear than a wolf dog. I used to get frustrated with my homework, but I learned if I just take my time and was careful, it would be over.
2. As Tao’s friend, I would tell Tao to talk to Volt. He should explain that wolf dogs are not evil, and that they could really help the tribe in hunting and finding food.
Matt P says
I read some of the other comments for question 2. Some people said that Tao should continue to lie. Others, like me, think Tao should tell the truth. This is a tough question.
1. He learns that there has to be a shape in the animal he is drawing. He feels happy because he is satisfied with his drawing of an animal.
2. I think I would have told Tao to not to draw images or at least to scratch them out after he is done so he is not doing something taboo.
1. Tao learns that he has to draw in in order to get the perfect drawing he wants.He feels like he can draw better and more detailed figures.The first time I did the mile in P.E I did not like the time I got, so then my second time doing the mile I was determined in getting a better score so I tried my hardest to achieve a better score.
2. I would tell Tao to not try to make anyone suspicious about what he doing.
1. He learned that he just had to look at the animal to paint it. He feels better now then he did earlier because he knew how he could be a better painter and be proud of his work. In swimming I didn't understand the breathing time for butterfly but once I practiced it a lot and worked really hard then I really got it and now I feel more confident in my stoke.
2. My advice to Tao would be to go back to the clan and see if he would be able to paint and people would except Ram and not kill him and let him live.
1. Tao learns that he a good drawer after refreshing his mind, he feels pretty good about his improvement, I realized I have to concentrate on something to get it done.
2. I would tell Tao not force the visitor to leave because if he does he might tell the clan people about the taboos.
1. Tao needs to practice drawing to improve his art work. So he can draw better than before. This reminds me of a time when I was bad at a math problem and when I did it a second time I did it correctly.
2. I would tell Tao to not even think of telling anyone that he draws.
1. Tao learns that in order to make a good drawing he needed something to guide his eye. He feels happy because he found a way to make his drawings look good. I realized I am pretty good at gymnastics, but to get even better I have to work HARD!
2. I would tell Tao to tell Volt that he just goes out to hunt for a long time. Sadly, I would not tell him the truth because he could get punished.
Jessica Masterson
1. He learned he is better at drawing when he has a picture or an image to draw. He feels better and more confident in himself and in his artwork. I realized I am good at dancing while singing which may help when I am older.
2. If I was Tao’s friend, I would tell him to stay away from Volt and if he runs into him, to lie by thinking quickly and thinking reasonably or he may be fed to the hyenas.
1.Tao learned that he could draw amazing cave paintings all he had to do is to have something to go by and to guide his eye, therefore he could draw amazingly. Tao feels much better now because before he was angry at himself because he was drawing things worse and worse. On the other hand, he felt much better after learning a better way to draw. I realized that I could do anything I could all I had to do is to ignore it or picture it as something else.
2.I would say: Tao, I know you have respect for the wiled and so do I, but it can bring you danger and neither of us need trouble so my advice is to try to stop all this mess so you don’t get in trouble but from here it’s your decision only so you depend on your self see you later.
1.Tao learns that he is good at painting when he observes the thing he wants to draw but is unable to paint from memory. He feels proud and happy about his artwork unlike before he was frustrated with his mistakes. When I was little I played the piano. I didn't exactly play the piano I just remembered where to place my fingers. I didn't understand how to read the music I just remembered what to do. Once I started learning the basics like which note are which my music became much smoother.
2.I would tell Tao to share his discovery with his tribe and tell them that not everything is about demons are spirits. Also to tell them how to hunt with other wolf-dogs to improve hunting.
1. He feels better about himself and his artwork also if he needs help he should ask someone . Because if I don’t know something I will ask someone for help.
2. He should get advice from the old man when they were eating dinner.
1. Tao learns to improve his artwork by looking at animals instead of imagining them. He is very confident with his work now because he can use his guided eye. I used to type very slowly and now I type like lightning.
2. If I were in Taos position I would keep lying because he is starting to do what he does best and enjoys very much.
1. The way Tao learned to improve his artwork was if he looked at the animal, he would have a clear visual aid to help him draw it. Earlier in the chapter the way he felt compared to in the first chapter was proud. He felt proud in both chapters because he could save the wolf dog from the hunters and that he could paint the wolf dog on the cave wall. Something I realized I could do before I try to accomplish something is, I have to keep practicing until I feel good about it.
2. I think Tao shouldn’t have lied even though Graybeard was on his way to paint in a cave too. He shouldn’t have done this because it is bad to lie and it lowers your self-esteem, changes your reputation and changes the way people think about you.
Chapters 5 and 6 Discussion
Question 1.
Tao learns how to improve his art work by believing in himself. He does this by trying his best.
At the end of chapter five Tao feels more confident because he has his ideas down on paper. He also got the chance to do some art work.
Something I have realized on my own is a different way to studying for math test.
He learned that if he had an example of the image drawn correctly, he could copy and make more. Earlier in the chapter he felt angered and mad because he made more mistake. I realized that if I stretched every day,it would help me with my tumbling. I would tell Tao that he should just keep quiet and answer questions from Volt in short, nondescript sentences
1. Tao is kind hearted and really thoughtful, he would feel guilty if he took all the eggs so he decided to leave at least one egg so the mother can be happy with one baby at least
2. Tao continued the slough because he was wondering what was all the scream about and what was it so he decided to face his fear.
3. Kala answered a really important thing about Tao's life which was his parents. Kala helped Tao a lot now that he knew the truth about his whole life.
1.Tao learns to improve his artwork because Graybeard told Tao to inspect the animal before he draws it. Tao feels that he can draw better because Graybeard told him a very important hint. A time were I realized something on my own was when I realized that the more I practice trumpet the better I will be able to switch my valves faster, and now I can switch my valves very fast.
2.I would give Tao advice by saying that if he wants to live happy, then he should say the truth or just keep living his live on Taboos.
Post a Comment