Monday, September 27, 2010

Chapter Two Blog Questions-to be done in class 10/2


After you have read Chapter 2 in Boy of the Painted Cave, respond to Questions 1, 2  and 3.  Please write in complete sentences that show thoughtful and clear consideration of the book. Be sure to answer all parts of each question.

1.On p.29, Tao states, “Your demon of pain is gone. Now you can eat again.” How are Tao and the wolf dog alike? How and why did Tao help the wolf dog? Describe a time when you went out of your way to help someone.

2. Describe the slough. Why is it forbidden? Do you agree or disagree with Tao’s decision to enter the slough? If you disagree, what would you have done differently? Explain your answer.

3. In helping the wolf dog and entering the slough Tao breaks the “rules”(taboos) of his tribe and risks getting caught and punished. Why do you think this is a taboo/rule of the tribe? Do you think there is ever a time when it is okay to break “rules”? If so, under what circumstances? If not, why not?


Remember to proofread your writing for conventions and complete thoughts before you post your comments to the blog. Write your comments on a word document and then copy and paste them into a comments' box. Be sure to use your first name only. Read and respond to each other’s comments. If you say that you agree or disagree with someone’s comment, tell that person why, respectfully.

48 comments:

Ms. Torello said...

Have a great day today!!! Will miss you!

Kevin said...

1. they both are alike because they both don't have a lot of food and he likles animals. I think he helped to wolf because he likes animals like wolfs. I went outn of my wasy to help someone when we were playing basketball, and a kid got hurt so instead of playing basketall, i helped him.

2.the slough, is a marshy area, were the tribe believes evil spirits live and the men will not hunt there and the women will not dig for roots there.I agree with Tao to enter the slough because the slough has all of this unharvest food thatc he could eat and seriuosly, spirits do not exist.

3. I think it is a taboo to enter the slough because of the evil spirits and that it might be bad for you so a spirit will poses you body. Yes there is a time when you can break the rules ansd that is when you are being chased a mammoth and you try to lose him in the slough.

Alexander said...

1)Tao and the wolf are alike because they are both nice. Tao helped the wolf because he feels sorry for him.

2)The slough is forbidden because there are evil spirits there. I do not agree with Tao because I do not want to get in to trouble and I don’t want to see evil spirits. I would have just avoided the area and go to a different place.

3)I think it is a rule because the wolf might eat him. I think the rule for entering the slough s because there are evil spirits. I think it might be okay to break the rules if there is an emergency.

Kevin said...

He helped the wolf by pulling a sliver out of his jaw (adding to question 1)

Preston said...

1.On p.29, Tao states, “Your demon of pain is gone. Now you can eat again.” How are Tao and the wolf dog alike? How and why did Tao help the wolf dog? Describe a time when you went out of your way to help someone.

Tao and the wolf dog are alike because both are not with there tribe or pack. Tao pulled out the bone shard that was stuck in the wolf dog’s muzzle. I one time woke up early in the morning to help my sister make breakfast for my parents.

2. Describe the slough. Why is it forbidden? Do you agree or disagree with Tao’s decision to enter the slough? If you disagree, what would you have done differently? Explain your answer.

A slough is a mash land where lots of interesting life lives and it is like a swamp. It is forbidden because it has been overruled by evil spirits that ward people off the territory. I wouldn’t have gone there because I dislike doing something and not knowing about a thing, I hate it when it seems like I am walking blind in a
Mine field.

3. In helping the wolf dog and entering the slough Tao breaks the “rules”(taboos) of his tribe and risks getting caught and punished. Why do you think this is a taboo/rule of the tribe? Do you think there is ever a time when it is okay to break “rules”? If so, under what circumstances? If not, why not?

I think it is a taboo because without any of them life would get out of hand. There is always a time to have to break rules when there is an emergency like if someone is in crucial danger you may have to speed to the hospital and save them there is always a reason to break a rule.

Claire said...


1. They both are very hungry and both rejected by there clan. Tao helped by taking out the sliver of bone in the wolf-dog’s jaw, which prevented him from eating. When I was at the library, there was a little girl who was trying to reach a book on the top shelf but she couldn’t reach, so I got the book down for her.
I think this is a taboo because people back then believed in creationism so they were very superstitious. I do not think there is ever a time when someone can break the rules/taboo.

Cam said...

1.) Tao and the wolf are alike because they are both hungry and young. Tao helped the wolf dog by pulling out the sliver of a bone in his jaw. I helped my mom pick out sunglasses that were cool because hers are weird.

2.) The slough is forbidden because the tribe that Tao is in thinks that evil spirits live there. I agree with Tao because if he didn’t go in there he might have gotten sick or maybe even died.

3.) I think this is a taboo because his tribe does not want anyone to become an evil spirit. Yes sometimes you must break the rules to stay alive or help someone important. Like in the Harry Potter series the kids break the rules all the time. If they hadn’t Voltermolt might have taken over much quicker and lived.


Anjali said...

1. Tao and the dog are alike because they both are very hungry. Tao helps the dog because he is in the same baot as the hungry animal. I helped Drew do her math homework becauese she did not get it.
2. I think the slough is a dark swampy area that is forbidden because of evil spirites and untamed animals. I disagree with Tao because it is like me trespassing on scary grounds. He also is in great danger of things bigger and more powerful than himself. Honestly I would have turned around and walked a diffrent way because I would be very very scared.
3. I think it is a rule because the tribe does not want people to get hurt by the wild amimals in the slough. I think if someone is hurt or injured it is ok to break certain rules.

Rebecca said...

1.Tao and the wolf dog are alike because they both haven’t eaten any food for days and they both have an injury that prevents them from hunting. Tao helped the dog because it was severely wounded and couldn't eat so he felt sorry for him. One time in elementary school a new student was lost so I helped him find his classroom.
2.The slough is covered with alders and brier bushes. Plus it is filled with food and streams. It is forbidden because his tribe believes that it is inhabited by demons. I would agree with his decision because it was filled with food and he didn't eat for two days.
3.I think it is taboo because it is rumored to have evil spirits living in there. Yes I think there are sometimes when you need to break the rule. But only when it is an emergency like against life or death situation.

Caitlin said...


1. Tao and the wolf dog are both hungry and they feel discarded from their packs and clans. Tao helped the wolf dog by pulling out a bone jammed in his teeth and giving him the ability to eat again. One time, my friend tried to do a flip on my diving board and she hit her chin while doing it. What she didn’t notice was that there was a huge gash in her chin. I didn’t say anything, I leaped out of the pool to get ice and a giant band aid.

2. The Slough is a place that was dense and tangled with creepers and thorns. It is a dark marshland of winding creeks and green forests. But the clan people thought it was peopled by demons. It is forbidden because if the roots and berries there were eaten, they would become cursed by evil spirits. If I were a believer along with the clan, I would mildly disagree with Tao’s decision to enter the Slough. If he was only a little hungry, it would have been a terrible decision. But in a life and death situation, it’s worth being possessed.

3. Going into the Slough AND eating the berries means to the clan that he could be possessed by evil spirits. If he comes back to the clan, he could possess other people too. So they forbid going into or eating anything from the Slough. There will always be a time when breaking “rules” will be a life saver. If you were being chased by criminals, you might have to steal a car. If you were starving to death, you may be forced to steal food.

Aryana said...

1. Tao and the wolf-dog are alike because the both have a disability. Tao has a messed up foot and the wolf-dog has a silver bone stuck in his upper jaw. Also they are both trying to find food. Both of them have been banished or left by their clan or tribe. Tao helped the wolf-dog because Tao knew how the little wolf felt. Tao helped the wolf dog by pulling the bone out of the jaw, and now the dog can eat.A time when I helped someone was when I was skiing with my brother in Lake Tahoe and we were in a race against other people. My brother fell down and was hurt, so I stopped in the middle of the race to help my brother. we slowly skied down to the office, and it turns out he broke his leg. If I hadn't helped him he would've been in pain longer.
2. The Slough is a swampy damp place and it is said to be a taboo to go there. I agree with Tao's decision because you can't just believe what a bunch of old people say. Plus, life would be boring if no one took chances.
3. I think helping the wolf-dog would be a taboo because they are trying to catch the same animals the tribe is, and if there are a lot of wolves, then all the food will be gone. Entering the Slough is said to be a "taboo" because a lot of animals like jaguars and leopards that are known as possessed are there. I think it is okay to break a taboo when you or someone else is in danger.

Lauryn said...

1. Tao and the wolf dog are alike because they both have some kind of pain that is keeping them from doing something. Tao helps the little wolf dog get rid of the sliver of bone that is stuck in it’s jaw, and helps him get rid of his pain. I think he did that because he felt a connection with the dog, they’re both hungry and lonely. A time that I went out of my way to help someone is when my sister and mom were fighting and I didn’t want her to scream and cry because she wanted my mom’s phone, so I gave her mine to play with. She ended up being really happy and I was glad that I could help my mom and sister out.
2. The slough is like a marshland of wildlife. Different types of animals live there, even ones that Tao has never seen before. It’s forbidden because the elders and hunters say that there are evil spirits there. The women won’t gather the roots and berries there and the men won’t hunt because they think that if they eat that food from the slough they will get the evil spirits inside them. I think it was a good idea to go into the slough because there was some food and water that he could drink and eat since he was so hungry and thirsty.
3. They think it is a taboo because they might think that it is dangerous. I think that it was okay to break the rules because he was trying to survive and not die of hunger. It might be breaking the rules but he is also alone and is just a little boy. So I think it was okay.

Noel said...

1. Tao and the wolf are alike because they are both starving, and they both have something that is different about them. Tao helped the wolf because the wolf is in need of help just like him. I helped my brother when he need to get grocery from safeway.
2.The slough is forbidden because the elders say it haunted by evil spirits. I agree with Tao's decision to enter the slough.
3. I think this is a taboo because they believe that dangerous spirits may attack anyone who enters. I think there can always be a times when you can to break the rules. For example if you do a project you might have to break the rules in order to make perfect.

Suzie said...

1. They are both young and looking for food. Tao took the sliver of bone out of the wolf’s upper jaw because he wanted the wolf to eat again. When I was at Sky High with my cousins, we went into the foam pit. When my cousin went, she got stuck and couldn’t get out. So I jumped in on another trampoline to save her so we could have a good time.

2. The Slough is a dark marshland of winding creeks and green forests that is said to be ruled by demons. I disagree with Tao and I would have just gone somewhere else because the legends about the demons might be true.

3. I think it is a taboo to enter The Slough because he might be injured or killed by the “demons”. Yes because it is a taboo to draw unless you aare the chosen one, but Tao does it anyway. Also, irf the food is running out, someone has to go and hunt in the Slough.

Maddy said...

1. Tao and the wolf dog are alike because they both have a reason that they can’t do something and they are both hungry and alone. Tao helped the wolf dog because he did not want the wolf dog to die of starvation. I helped someone by helping carry Kensy’s bags back to her class.


2. The Slough is a marshland with creeks and tree’s. The Slough is forbidden because it is a taboo to ones culture and the evil spirits will come. I agree with Tao’s decision because he was hungry and needed food and water.

3. I think it is a taboo to the tribe because they need food and water and want to save it for later times when they will really need it. I think it would be okay to break a rule at one time because what if you were about to die of starvation and food was right there. I think it would be oka

Kensy said...

1. Tao and the wolf are alike because they both are hungry and lonely. Tao helped the wolf dog by pulling the bone out of the dog’s upper jaw. I went out my way to help someone when my friend hurt her foot and I helped her walk to the office.

2. The slough is a marshland of winding creeks and green forests. I agree because I don’t believe in evil spirits.

3. I think it is a rule because in the slough there could be dangerous animals or dangerous creatures. Also the wolf dog could also be dangerous. I think there was a time when breaking rules were okay because there could have been a fire or an animal attack so they would have to go to the forbidden areas.

Jake M. said...

1.)Tao and the wolf are like in ways such as there very hungry and young. Tao helped the wolf dog by pulling out the small piece of bone stuck in hic jaw. I helped my dad when he was very sick by making him eggs while he rested in bed.
2.)The slough is forbidden to go into is because the tribe people believe that there is evil spirits in there. I agree, that it was a good idea to go in the slough because he hadn’t eaten in two days, and he was on the verge of starving to death.
3.)I think that it is taboo to enter there cause somebody that enters the slough might get caught be the evil spirits and turn into one. I think that it sometimes to break the if it will have something good comes out of it like saving ones life.

Anna said...

1. Tao and the wolf dog are alike because right now they are both starving. Tao helped the wolf dog by taking out the splinter of a bone that was wedged into the wolf dog’s mouth. I think that Tao helped the wolf dog because he knew that the wolf was in pain and he couldn’t stand to see the wolf in pain. I have gone out of my way a lot to help my sister study for her test.


2. The Slough is a marshland of winding creeks and green forest. It’s said by the elder people that it has been peopled by demons. Also the hunters never went there and so did the women to dig roots, or harvest the berries because, lest they become cursed by the evil spirits. I agree with Tao to enter the Slough because I don’t believe in evil spirits. But I would be a little bit frighten to enter though, because it is very dark.


3. I think that entering the Slough is a taboo because people of Tao’s tribe think that it has evil spirits, and they don’t want their village to get cursed. I think that helping the wolf is a taboo, because they don’t have a lot of food and a wolf would be a feast to Tao’s tribe. I think that it is okay to break rules sometimes only if it is for a good cause, like an emergency of some sort, then I think that you should be able to break the rules.

Elizabeth said...

1.On p.29, Tao states, “Your demon of pain is gone. Now you can eat again.” How are Tao and the wolf dog alike? How and why did Tao help the wolf dog? Describe a time when you went out of your way to help someone.

2. Describe the slough. Why is it forbidden? Do you agree or disagree with Tao’s decision to enter the slough? If you disagree, what would you have done differently? Explain your answer.

3. In helping the wolf dog and entering the slough Tao breaks the “rules”(taboos) of his tribe and risks getting caught and punished. Why do you think this is a taboo/rule of the tribe? Do you think there is ever a time when it is okay to break “rules”? If so, under what circumstances? If not, why not?

Jacqueline said...

1. Tao and the wolf are alike because they are both hungry, cold, and alone. Tao helped the wolf dog because he felt bad for the wolf dog. He helped him because he made him feel not so alone and he pulled a long sliver of an animal bone out of the wolf dogs mouth, so now the dog can eat. In 4th grade there was a new kid and everybody was mean to her and one recess I played with her and sat with her at lunch.

2. A slough is an area of soft or muddy ground in a marshy or swamp-like area or region. It is forbidden because it is told that there are evil spirits lurking there. Yes I agree with Tao’s decision because he was desperate for food and that was one of the very few places with food.

3. I think that it is a rule of the tribe because it is dangerous in the slough and the evil spirits are lurking in that area. I think that there are few occasions when it is ok to break the rules such as when you are told to and given permission to do so by a chief or leader.

Vishu said...

1. Tao and the wolf are alike because they are both hungry, and they are both scrawny and thin. Tao helped the wolf dog so that he could eat again without pain. One time, my dad was looking for his phone, and i helped him find it in the house.

2. The slough is a wet marshland that is forbidden by the tribe to go into. It is forbidden from the tribe because it is rumored to home evil spirits that can kill you. I agree with tao’s decision to enter the slough because he is hungry and will starve to death if he gets no food, also he hears animals that he can hunt for the tribe in the slough.

3. I think that these things are taboo because the tribe is just making excuses for things they can’t explain. Like the slough. They have no idea what is on the other side. but with helping wild animals, they don't know what the animals are going to do. I also think that it is okay to break the rules sometimes. For example, what if your mom said no knives in the house, but a robber breaks in and ties you up? You have to use your knife to untie your self and get help. In that instance, it would be okay to break the rules.

Abby said...

1. Tao and the wolf dog are alike because they are both cold and hungry, alone, and frighteners of each other a little bit. Tao wanted to help the wolf dog because he felt bad for him and they were going through the same thing so he felt the animal’s pain. He helped by pulling a sliver out of his mouth. Over the summer at sleep away camp there was a girl in my cabin who felt homesick so I comforted her by giving her a hug and I told her that she would see her mom soon.

2. A slough is an area of soft muddy ground. It is forbidden because it’s home to evil spirits. Yes I agree with Tao’s decision. He wanted to get food for himself because he was starving.

3. I think this is a rule of the tribe because it is evil spirits are kept and it is forbidden. He didn’t have permission from a chosen one or a leader but I think its ok because he was hungry.

Jake G. said...


1. Tao and the wolf dog are alike because they are both very hungery and are starving and looking for food. Tao helps the wolf dog because Tao likes animals. I went out of my way and helped someone by someone was hurt on the ground and I brought the person to the office to get a band aid.

2. The slough is a marshland of winding creeks and green forests. It is forbidden because there are evil sprits there. I do agree with his decision because he needs to find something more.

3. It is forbidden and it can be dangerous. No there is never a time to break the rules. The circumstances are no food for a week and you have to find food for the tribe.

Tamer said...

1. On p.29, Tao states, “Your demon of pain is gone. Now you can eat again.” How are Tao and the wolf dog alike? How and why did Tao help the wolf dog? Describe a time when you went out of your way to help someone.

Tao and the wolf are alike because they can get hungry a lot, Tao helped the dog because he doesn’t like to kill animals and he keeps the wolf dog safe.


2. Describe the slough. Why is it forbidden? Do you agree or disagree with Tao’s decision to enter the slough? If you disagree, what would you have done differently? Explain your answer. The slough is forbidden because it is peopled by demons. I would have not entered the slough because it is dangerous.


3. In helping the wolf dog and entering the slough Tao breaks the “rules”(taboos) of his tribe and risks getting caught and punished. Why do you think this is a taboo/rule of the tribe? Do you think there is ever a time when it is okay to break “rules”? If so, under what circumstances? If not, why not? Sometimes its ok to break rules if its for a good cause. Tao is breaking the rules to help the wolf.

Andy said...

1.Tao and the wolf dog are alike because they have emotional and physical pain.
2. A slough is a marsh, I agree because there is bad or evil spirits.
3.Because Volt said there is evil spirits, yes because sometimes people break rules for a reason.

Matthew N. said...

1. Tao and the wolf dog are alike because they both have a pain emotionally and physically
2. A slough is a marsh, Because there is “evil” spirits there, I agree with him.
3. Because Volt said it was punished and there is evil there, yes there is always a time to break rules you don’t like or agree with,

Grace said...

1.Tao and the wolf are alike because they are both starving and because they both have to hunt for their food. Tao helped the wolf by taking out a splinter bone. Tao pulled the splintered boned out of the wolf’s mouth because then the wolf can hunt again and doesn’t have to feel any pain in his mouth again.
2.The slough is forbidden because of the evil spirits and they think that drawing a person would offend the evil spirits. I agree that Tao entered the slough.
3. I think that Tao broke one of the rules of tribe because he was just trying to help the wolf. Sometimes there are times that are ok to break rules because sometimes people don’t know that there was a rule about the thing that they were doing.

Justin said...

1. Tao and the wolf dog are alike because they are both hungry and need to find something to eat. Tao helped the wolf dog by getting the bone out of his tooth so he could eat again. He helped the wolf dog because he felt sorry for the dog and wanted to help him. A time I went out of my way to help someone was when someone dropped their ID card and I returned it to them.
2. The slough is a dark dense forest filled with hills creeks and rivers. It is forbidden to enter because the elders think that evil demon spirits live there. I disagree with Tao for entering there because it is taboo and he could easily get himself killed. I would have just stayed in the non-forbidden and try and find something to eat and the rabbit I would do this because I would want to go back to my clan.
3. I think this is taboo because you kill animals so why would you help them, and its common sense not to enter a place where evil people live. I think the only time to break this rule is when you are all alone and banished from your tribe.

matthewp said...

1.On p.29, Tao states, “Your demon of pain is gone. Now you can eat again.” How are Tao and the wolf dog alike? How and why did Tao help the wolf dog? Describe a time when you went out of your way to help someone.
Tao helped the wolf dog because he wanted it to hunt with its pack. I helped give a child back its toy train when he dropped it.

2. Describe the slough. Why is it forbidden? Do you agree or disagree with Tao’s decision to enter the slough? If you disagree, what would you have done differently? Explain your answer.
The slough is a dark marshland of winding creeks and green forests. I agree with Tao’s decision because I would be desperate to find a rabbit and get back to the village or I would starve to death.

3. In helping the wolf dog and entering the slough Tao breaks the “rules”(taboos) of his tribe and risks getting caught and punished. Why do you think this is a taboo/rule of the tribe? Do you think there is ever a time when it is okay to break “rules”? If so, under what circumstances? If not, why not?
The clan believed the Slough was populated with demons. I don’t think there is a time to break the rules because I would get in trouble if I entered the forbidden grounds.

Jason said...




1. Tao and the wolf dog are alike because they are both taboo and forbidden , they are also alike because they are both in the wilderness. One more similarity is that they both are after the same prey. Tao helped the wolf dog by taking a stuck bone out of its maw. One time a person left their credit card in the ATM slot and I started yelling at the guy in his car and I kindly gave it to him.
2. The slough is forbidden because there are evil spirits lurking in the shadows of the slough. I agree with him going into the slough because would rather starve or get food? I would get food.
3. These things are taboo because they are evil and forbidden. It is only okay to break the rules is it is a life/death situation.

Aaron said...

1. Tao helped the wolf dog because the wolf dog has eaten in days and also Tao hasn’t eaten in days also they both were separated from their packs. Tao helped the wolf dog by pulling the long silver bone jammed deeply into its upper jaw. I went out of my way once to help my brother do his chores because he had a lot of homework.
2. The slough is a forbidden place rich with many types of food. Also it has creeks running down into the green, lush forest. It is forbidden because the elders said it was peopled by demons. Also the hunters never went there and the women would not dig its roots or harvest its berries lest become cursed by the evil spirits.
3. I think it is taboo because the tribe thinks it is useless to help an animal which is already dying, and if Tao enters the slough it might curse the whole tribe. Yes it is sometimes okay to break the rules because Tao was starving and he had no other choice because either he ate or he died of hunger.

MaRkUs said...

1. Tao and the wolf are alike because they both were excluded because Tao was excluded from hunting and the wolf was excluded from the pack because it was week. Tao helped the wolf because we couldn’t hunt or eat because the bone was stuck. He saw the wolf was hungry so he gave him the ability to hunt and eat again. When I was young I always helped my friends and took them to the office when they were hurt and I was giving up my recess time.
2. The slough is a forbidden place because they believe there are evil spirits there and is thriving with food because no one hunts there. I agree because he has never seen an evil spirit and because he needs food.
3. I think those thing are taboos because they need food and if you help the wolf it will always ask for more. Also I think going to the slough is a taboo because the tribe and the tribe leader believe in that so it is forced on everyone to believe in that. I think if you are starving you can go into the slough because it is thriving with food and no one hunts there.

Ben said...

1. Tao and the wolf dog are alike because they are both nice in their own way.
Tao helped the wolf dog by pulling the bone out of the wolf’s mouth because it was lodged in its jaw. He helped the wolf dog because couldn’t eat when it was lodged in its jaw.
A time when I went out of my way to help somebody was in 5th grade, I helped someone do a math problem that he was stuck on.
2. The slough is a tangle of bushes with an opening. It is forbidden because it is rumored that evil spirits roam there. I disagree with Tao’s decision to enter the slough. What I would do differently is not go in there because evil spirits roam there.
3. I think Tao is doing taboo because you would never know how dangerous an animal might be. Entering the slough was taboo because evil spirits are there and that is dangerous because they can hurt you without you knowing it. I think the time to break rules is when there is danger, like a fire for example.

Natalia said...

1.Tao and the wolf are alike because they both don’t get treated nicely and they are both always hungry. Tao helped the wolf dog because he felt bad for him that he was not getting any food, so he pulled the bone out of his upper jaw. I helped my dog by giving him a bath because he was stinking really bad.

2.The slough is by the grassland and along the edge of the swamp. It’s dark and dense and has thorn bushes. It’s forbidden to go to the slough because they say it has evil demons. I agree with Tao’s decision because if I were him I would be curios and go to the slough.

3.Because they all don’t want to be cursed by the demon. I think there is a time where you can break rules but it should not hurt anyone or make anyone feel bad.

jack said...

1. Tao and the wolf dog are alike by they are both hungry and they are over powered in some way. Tao helped the wolf dog why and because he had a splinter bone in his mouth. He wanted to help the wolf dog because he could not eat. One time I was playing soccer and someone tripped my teammate and he hurt his ankle and I helped off the field.
2. A slough is a wet, damp, river infested land with animals. I agree with his idea to enter the slough because if he wants to starve out there then I would go and enter the slough.
3. I think it is a taboo for his tribe because the book said that there was evil spirits that haunt the area. I think there is a time were you could break the rules because it might be for a health related thing or an emergency.

Tara said...

1. Tao and the wolf dog are alike because when the wolf dog had the splinter of bone stuck in his jaw, he couldn’t hunt that well and he was starving. Therefore, because Tao has a bad foot, he can’t hunt that well, and he hadn’t eaten anything for two whole days. Tao helped the wolf dog by taking out the splinter of bone out of his jaw. He did that because he felt bad for the poor wolf dog, and how he had been excluded from his clan just like Tao had been excluded from his tribe until he found another rabbit. I remember a time when my friend had gotten hurt badly and I wrote a card for her and helped her a lot.

2. The slough was a wetland that the hunters never went to because they were worried they might become cursed by the evil spirits. I disagree with Tao’s decision to go into the slough because usually if someplace is forbidden, it is forbidden for a reason. In my opinion, I would have just went to a different area and searched for food.

3. I think helping the wolf dog and entering the slough is a taboo because if you got too close to the wolf dog, it could kill you or hurt you seriously and they didn’t have all of the right tools to keep you alive. Entering the slough is also a taboo because no one knows what is in there and supposedly they think it is filled with evil spirits that can curse you. I think there is only a certain time when you can break the rules and that is when it depends on your life or someone else’s life.

Samantha said...

1. Tao and the wolf dog are alike because they are both are brave and hungry. Tao helps the wolf dog by removing sliver of bone from the wolf dog’s upper jaw. He helped the wolf dog so the wolf dog could be in less pain. He also helped so the wolf dog can hunt again and return to the pack. A time when I helped someone was when I saw a little boy fall of his bike. The bike landed on top of him, so I ran over and lifted the bike off, then helped get him back up.
2. The slough is a place beyond thicket of bushes; it is a dark marshland with creeks and forests. It is forbidden because the elders say that it was peopled by demons. I agree with his decision to enter the slough because in order for him to return to the camp he will need to catch another rabbit.
3. I think it is a taboo of the tribe because the tribe does not want to offend the evil spirits. I think there are times where it is okay to break the “rules” because when there is an emergency or a threat to anything that will affect someone or something in a bad way, if you have to break the rules to save them, it is ok to break the rules.

tristan said...

1. they are alike by both of them are were kicked out of the tribe and he help the wolf because he felt bad for it and the time when I help my dog instead of my homework
2. a slough is a grass land with a swamp/lake , it is forbidden because it has evil spirits and I don’t blame Toe because he was hungry
3.it is a rule because a wolf can eat people, and the slough Is cursed and yes Toe felt bad for the dog

tala said...

1. They are both alike because they both are separated from their tribe or group. Tao can not go back to his tribe unless he finds food and the wolf can not go back to his pack to hunt unless he gets the bone out of his jaw. Tao helped the wolf because it reminded him of Tao and what he is going throw. I took my class time to help someone else get started with their project before me.
2. The Slough is a dark marshland of winding creeks and green forests. It is forbidden because the elders said it was peopled by the demons, and who ever ate or pulled the roots from the Slough would get an evil curse. I disagree with Tao’s decision because he could get cursed and I wouldn’t want to take that chance. I would have just went the opposite way and searched for a rabbit so he could return back to his village and be safe.
3. I think it is a taboo because the tribe does not want anyone to have an evil curse because it could bring danger to everyone. I think there is never a time to break the rules, it is better to be safe then sorry.

JR said...

1. Tao and the wolf are alike because they both can trust each other. Tao helped the wolf dog because the wolf dog had a silver bone stuck in its jaw and Tao pulled it out. Tao helped the wolf dog because he knew how the wolf was hungry, small, and skinny. Once I helped out my guinea pig by massaging it because it was bloated.
2. The slough is a dark marshland with winding creeks and green forests. It is forbidden because there are evil spirits that live there and if you eat the food that is there, people think that the evil spirits will eat you. I agree with Tao because he was hungry and there was no food around. I would‘ve done the same thing that Tao did.
3. Helping the wolf dog is and entering the slough is a taboo because entering the slough is forbidden because evil spirits live there. I think it is a taboo because when he helped the wolf dog because he could’ve killed the wolf dog when his tribe was hungry and he didn’t. Entering the slough is also a taboo because the evil spirits live there. I think there is a time where you can break the rules. I think you can only break the rules when it is an emergency or if it is needed.

Athina said...

1. Tao and the wolf dog are alike because they are both hungry for food. Tao helped the wolf dog by taking the bone stuck in its jaw out. Tao did that because he realized that the wolf dog could not eat or hunt because of the bone stuck in its jaw and the wolf dog was in great pain because of it. One time, actually always, I go out of my way to help my Grandma carry her groceries upstairs in her house.
2. The slough is forbidden because if you went there you would become cursed by the evil spirits. I disagree with Tao’s decision to enter the slough because I wouldn’t want to be cursed by the evil spirits. What I would do differently than Tao is walk away from the slough so I don’t feel tempted to go in to see if there is any game in there.
3. I think not being able to help the wolf dog is a rule because people are really hungry and want to eat it instead. I also think not being able to enter the slough is a rule because you can be cursed by evil spirits and its dangerous. No I don’t think there is ever a time where it is okay to break rules because rules are made for specific reasons and I would never brake a rule.

Garrett said...

1. he wolf had a bone stuck in his mouth and he couldn’t eat. One time I helped someone was when I watched my grandparents dog when they went on a trip.
2. It is forbidden because the elders said it was peopled by demons. I disagree because the Slough was forbidden. I would have hunted for food stoneware else.
3. I think it is a taboo of this tribe because the animal might want to kill the person or because the animal might be have rabies. No, because there might be a bad punishment.

Georgia said...

1) Some things that they both have in common are that they are both hungry. Tao helped the wolf dog because he was so unhappy and starving that Tao wanted to help the wolf. When I went out of my way and helped someone was when I helped my Mom move to her new office.

2) The slough is along the edge of the swamp, it lays a dark marshland of winding creeks and green forest. The elders say it is peopled by demons. It is taboo because it is a forsaken place. I do agree with Tao’s decision because I think he was curious. I agree to that because if I couldn’t be curious I would just be sitting, staring into space, and could not be interactive with other people.

3) I think they are taboos because the tribe thinks they are controlled by demons. I think these are taboos of the tribe because the tribe does not like demons. No I do not think there is a time when it is okay to break rules because some of them have huge consequences.

jessica M. said...

1. Tao and the wolf dog are alike because they are both separated from their family, they are hungry, and they are lonely. Tao helps the wolf dog by taking the bone splinter out of its mouth. He helped the wolf dog because he felt bad that the dog was going to die from starvation. I go out of my way when I cheer up my sister when she is sad.

2. The slough is a place where Tao’s tribe says there are evil spirits. It is forbidden to go there because they believe the evil spirits would do bad things to the people. I agree with Tao’s decision to enter the slough because it is good to be curious and he was starving and there was wonderful food inside.

3. Helping the wolf dog and entering the slough is taboo because the wolf dog can be dangerous and the slough is told to have evil spirits and they do not want people in the tribe to die. There is a time to break the rules, such as if there is a fire at school and there is a rule you cannot leave the school when it is in session, but if you do not leave you could get killed, you can leave.

Jessica N. said...

1. Tao and the wolf dog are similar because they are both very hungry, separated from their family, and are lonely and need a companion. Tao helped the wolf dog by taking the silver bone out of his jaw. He probably did this because he felt bad for the dog who was in pain and starving. I go out of my way to help my little cousin with his homework when everyone else is busy and I’m even working on my homework I will help him with his problems.
2. The slough is a river area that Tao’s tribe says evil spirits might live. Going to the slough is forbidden because if you go the evil spirits may capture you or do bad things to you. I disagree with Tao’s decision to go to the slough because even though it is abundant with muscles, berries and oyster mushrooms it is possibly very dangerous. If there are evil spirits there it would be a very bad choice.
3. I think the reason there is a taboo on wolf dogs is because they are potentially dangerous and the tribe thinks people shouldn’t take their chances. The reason there is taboo against the slough is probably because the possibility there are evil spirits living there. I think it is sometimes O.K to break the rules because if a parent tells you no matter what to stay where you are and someone bad comes up to you you should get away from them and move.

keren said...

1. They both need to fined food and they both are week right now because they did not eat. Tao pooled out the bone out of the wolfs mouth so now the wolf can eat again. I woke up in midnight and I couldn’t fall asleep so I got up to get some milk and try to fall asleep again but on my way back to my bad I heard a scream. My brother fell out of bed and heart his arm so I got some ice and helped him fall asleep again and then I fell asleep again.

2. The slough is dark and creepy but there are berries and mushrooms all over and there is some water that way Tao could survive until he fiends another rabbit to take to the camp. Yes, if he is going to die of hunger why not go in there he mite actually stay alive if he fiends some food in there.

3.because if someone is watching the person that break the rule they might decide to try it out to so you end with every body breaking the rules yes if it’s an emergency and you have to. When some one is trying to kill you you can go and hide in the forest.

Kayla said...

Tao and the wolf dog are alike because they both suffer the consequence of not catching their own food. The wolf dog tried to catch his own food but he got hurt and Tao couldn’t bring himself to kill the rabbit. Tao helped the wolf because he loves helping nature and loves animal. He feed the wolf dog and fixed his wound so that he could feel better. One time when I was walking to class a teacher had a lot of paper work in her hands so I opened the door for her so that she wouldn’t drop her papers.
The slough is really dark and swamp like. Inside there are vines, thorns, and it smells musty. The slough is forbidden because evil spirits are said to be present inside. I disagree because I would be scared to go in and that something would grab onto me. I also disagree with Tao because at that point in his life he has no one around him to watch his back so if something happened to him no one would know. I would not have gone in the slough and maybe find some food to eat.
I think the tribe doesn’t help dog and do not go in the slough because they are greedy and only fight when they get something out of it. The tribe only fights for food and would use any of their energy to help somebody or something else. I think there is a time to break the rules, especially when and animal is young and hurt.

Anjali said...

1. Tao feels sorry for the owl and does not want it to move territories because all its eggs are being eaten. This says Tao is kind to all living things and lookes at the bigger picture not just himself.
2. Tao continues because he is merely curious and he is very hungry. When I was 9 I had a choice to eather move to Switzerland or California. I really did not want to move away from Pennsylvania but I conquered my fear and moved to CA.
3. Kala helps Tao decide his future and gives him a new light of hope. My mummy helped me discover how well I could read.